Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Waiting on Wednesday (25)

Waiting on Wednesday is a weekly meme hosted by Jill at Breaking the Spine where bloggers like me get to gush about what makes their hands all grabby.

 
In the Shadow of Blackbirds by Cat Winters
Expected Publication: April 2nd
Publisher: Amulet Books
Goodreads
Amazon
Barnes & Noble
TBD

In 1918, the world seems on the verge of apocalypse. Americans roam the streets in gauze masks to ward off the deadly Spanish influenza, and the government ships young men to the front lines of a brutal war, creating an atmosphere of fear and confusion. Sixteen-year-old Mary Shelley Black watches as desperate mourners flock to séances and spirit photographers for comfort, but she herself has never believed in ghosts. During her bleakest moment, however, she’s forced to rethink her entire way of looking at life and death, for her first love—a boy who died in battle—returns in spirit form. But what does he want from her?

Featuring haunting archival early-twentieth-century photographs, this is a tense, romantic story set in a past that is eerily like our own time.

How awesome does this book sound?  I just love the cover, too!  So creepy!  I especially love all books set in an early twentieth century setting, so I'm pretty pumped for this book.  I just *flails* want to read it so bad.

So what are you waiting on this fine Wednesday?

7 comments:

  1. the synopsis and cover both sound and look creepy! a ton of people loved it and like you, I love the early 20th century settings too!

    - Juhina @ Maji Bookshelf

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got this one from NetGalley, but I'm not sure if it sounds like something I'd like. I may try it out and see though instead of ignoring it like I have been haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've heard good things about this one. Great pick! New follower.

    Kat
    www.katsbookbuzz.net

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey This was my pick this week too!!!!! :) Great minds think alike!
    New Follower <3!
    Beth | The Reading Vixens [Formerly YA Vixens]
    Vixen's WoW!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haven't heard of this before but that cover draws the eye! Looks super creepy and creepy books are fun :). Wondeful pick Millie :)

    Jasmine

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from people, so comment away! What do you think of this post?

Designed by Seo Evie. Powered by Blogger.