Tuesday, April 16, 2013

The Ward by Jordana Frankel

The Ward by Jordana Frankel
Expected Publication: April 30th
Publisher: Katherine Tegen Books
Page Count: 384
Goodreads

Sixteen-year-old Ren is a daredevil mobile racer who will risk everything to survive in the Ward, what remains of a water-logged Manhattan. To save her sister, who is suffering from a deadly illness thought to be caused by years of pollution, Ren accepts a secret mission from the government: to search for a freshwater source in the Ward, with the hope of it leading to a cure.

However, she never expects that her search will lead to dangerous encounters with a passionate young scientist; a web of deceit and lies; and an earth-shattering mystery that’s lurking deep beneath the water’s rippling surface.

Jordana Frankel’s ambitious debut novel and the first in a two-book series, The Ward is arresting, cinematic, and thrilling—perfect for fans of Scott Westerfeld or Ann Aguirre.

*An advance copy from the Publisher was provided for me to review*
I've had my eyes on this book for quite a while, people.  The cover is absolutely kick ass and the premise sounds promising.  I was so excited to read it!  So then when I got an advance copy of it, I knew I had to read it as soon as possible.  Which I did.

Ren is not the average bad ass female protagonist.  She was strong, loved wholly, and determined--more so than any other character I've encountered in my reading.  Ren had such a unique voice and--while I got  a bit confused every now and then--I enjoyed the narrative.  It didn't take long for me to fall in love with her character and her story.  Her character throughout the entire story stayed consistent, which can be a trouble for some debuts, but not this one.  And the best part is that she didn't need a man to go on in life, and she proved that to not only herself, but also to a certain *coughs* male figure.  I loved that about her.  The love for her sister--that bond--was much stronger than the need to find a guy.

Frankel's depiction of this waterlogged New York City was frighteningly surreal and original.  Surreal because: what if that happened?  And original because: when do you get a futuristic New York with these water-skipping, roof-jumping cars and a scant amount of fresh water?  Such a crazy-great idea for a book!  I loved the story and I wanted so much more.  It's just too unfortunate that I'll have to wait about a year to read the second and final book. *sighs*

The Ward was a gritty and epic read about how far a person would go in the name of love.  It was the fight for survival and the macabre dance with Death.  Ren played such a unique and relatable character and was a delight to be inside the head of.  Fans of dystopia, an evil government, and a strong, bad ass protagonist may possibly enjoy this book.

4.5 Splashes

2 comments:

  1. I've had my eye on this one for awhile! The cover draws me in! Sounds like a pretty good story so I hope I get the chance to read it soon! Lovely as always review Millie <3

    Jasmine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you enjoyed it! I really loved the setting, because like you said there aren't many that compare. There need to be more stories set on water! The bond between Ren and Aven was beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from people, so comment away! What do you think of this post?

Designed by Seo Evie. Powered by Blogger.