Friday, November 2, 2012

Slide by Jill Hathaway

The Synopsis:
Vee Bell is certain of one irrefutable truth--her sister's friend Sophie didn't kill herself. She was murdered.
Vee knows this because she was there. Everyone believes Vee is narcoleptic, but she doesn't actually fall asleep during these episodes: When she passes out, she slides into somebody else's mind and experiences the world through that person's eyes. She's slid into her sister as she cheated on a math test, into a teacher sneaking a drink before class. She learned the worst about a supposed "friend" when she slid into her during a school dance. But nothing could have prepared Vee for what happens one October night when she slides into the mind of someone holding a bloody knife, standing over Sophie's slashed body.
Vee desperately wishes she could share her secret, but who would believe her? It sounds so crazy that she can't bring herself to tell her best friend, Rollins, let alone the police. Even if she could confide in Rollins, he has been acting distant lately, especially now that she's been spending more time with Zane.
Enmeshed in a terrifying web of secrets, lies, and danger and with no one to turn to, Vee must find a way to unmask the killer before he or she strikes again.


My Thoughts:
Thanks to the author herself, I was given a copy of this book.  Thank you, awesome author!

I wouldn't have put this book at the top of my TBR pile, but I was quite curious about it.  It was a short read and the murder/mystery aspect of the book kept me glued to it all day, and I finished it in one sitting. 

Vee was sometimes a difficult character for me to relate to.  She wasn't very confrontational, and although I'm not either, when something involves murder, I would try my best to somehow get the cops to handle the situation.  However, there wouldn't be much of a book, then, if she just went to the cops in the first place.  And when you've got a best friend that's willing to be with you every step of the way, I'd make sure that I did drag my friend with me.  First of all, murder is scary, and I would not enjoy doing the detective work alone, especially if I had these 'narcoleptic' fits where I witness the murder. 

However, what gave this book macho brownie points was this overall idea that it could have been anyone.  It could have been a teacher, a student, anyone.  And that was super creepy.  I also really enjoyed how it wasn't all about solving the murder for Vee.  She had her sister to take care of, a father to deal with, and a certain cutie pie that just moved to her school.  All of those elements created a thrilling quick read.  I liked that.

The best thing that Hathaway did with this book, though, was that she made it real.  No joke!  I can't tell you how many books I've read where the MCs go to school and it's like nothing ever happens there.  Kids are mean.  Kids are bullies.  Kids are cruel.  And although I've never been bullied or been subject to the many eyes of judging kids, a lot of other kids do.  It was refreshing, almost, to see how much school was incorporated into the book.

Slide was a gripping tale about an unsuspecting girl that has the potential to save lives.  The mystery and creepy edge to the story kept me glued to the pages.  Honestly, I wouldn't want the book to be longer than it was because Slide happened to be fun-sized--cute, awesome, and sparkling.

And did you hear???  There's going to be a second book!  It's called Impostor.  It comes out next year.

Happy reading everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from people, so comment away! What do you think of this post?

Designed by Seo Evie. Powered by Blogger.