Thursday, August 29, 2013

Grasping at Eternity by Karen Amanda Hooper

Grasping at Eternity by Karen Amanda Hooper
Genre: YA Paranormal
Publication: May 25th, 2012
Publisher: Starry Sky Publishing
Page Count: 328
Goodreads
Amazon

Leave it to Maryah Woodsen to break the one rule that will screw up eternity: Never erase your memories.

Before entering this life, Maryah did the unthinkable—she erased. Now, at seventeen years old, she’s clueless that her new adoptive family has known her for centuries, that they are perpetually reincarnated souls, and that they have supernatural abilities. Oh, and she's supposed to love (not despise) Nathan, the green-eyed daredevil who saved her life.

Nathan is convinced his family’s plan to spark Maryah's memory is hopeless, but his love for her is undying. After spending (and remembering) so many lifetimes together, being around an empty version of his soulmate is heart shattering. He hates acting like a stalker, but has no choice because the evil outcast who murdered Maryah in their last lifetime is still after her.

While Maryah’s hunter inches closer, she and Nathan make assumptions and hide secrets that rip them further apart. Maryah has to believe in the magic within her, Nathan must have faith in the power of their love, and both need to grasp onto the truth before they lose each other forever—and discover just how lonely eternity can be.

X-MEN meets MY NAME IS MEMORY in Karen Amanda Hooper’s latest young adult release.

I hadn't heard much about this book, so when going into it, I wasn't expecting much. The concept sounded very interesting. I love the idea of reincarnated souls and--dare I say--soul mates. Usually, with something like that included in the synopsis, I don't think that I'd pick it up. However, there was something that made me want to give this book a try, and I'm glad I did because this books was fantastic.

I crack this book open and find myself utterly invested in the plot in a matter of minutes. Right from the start, this book had me hooked. I just wanted to know more about what was going on and why. Even when readers first meet her twin brother Mikey, you could feel the connection between them. Being a twin myself, I connected with Maryah almost immediately and loved the relationship she had with him.

Speaking of Maryah, I thought that she was a very real character. Sometimes, I feel like the main character is too accepting of being introduced into the supernatural. It's very difficult to find the right balance between denial-and-eventual-acceptance, instead of denial-and-complete-reader-annoyance. And this book had it! I didn't find Maryah to be too accepting or too annoying when she learns about who and what she is. Never once did she truly give up and I thought that she was sweet, even after everything that had happened to her.

And if you haven't figured it out yet, the premise for this book is absolutely magical. Everyone has a soul that, after it leaves the body, decides whether it wants to remember or erase their memories when they reincarnate. And there's this chance that if you choose to remember, you get these powers and you get to do all sorts of cool stuff. Honestly, if this were true, I'm POed my soul's never wanted to remember!

Anyway, I liked this book a lot. All of the characters were very dimensional and they all brought the story to life in my head. Very rarely do I come across a YA paranormal that didn't have that distinct taste of cliche and overdone plots. I do recommend this book and I hope that others will enjoy it as much as I did.

4 Splashes

5 comments:

  1. I've read Tangled Tides and really enjoyed it, so I'm looking forward to this one. I've already got it on my Kindle. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, this one sounds a bit like Incarnate, which is such a good book, so I'm immediately intrigued! I love a book that starts off with a bang- you know a book is going to be great if it has a good start. ;) Also, it's awesome that the author was able to find a great balance between acceptance and denial with the whole supernatural powers thing. I totally agree that that's such a hard balance to strike, because many times, it slips into the reader annoyance category. Also, the lack of cliches present in this one really has me excited! :D

    Lovely review, Millie! I'm glad that you took a chance with this book, and that it turned out well. <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh that premise is definitely really cool. Getting to choose between remembering and being reincarnated? I'd totally want to remember, I'd be SO POed too haha :) I'm also happy that Maryah didn't take the news surprisingly well, but at the same time didn't deny it to the point where it got annoying and/or unrealistic. That's definitely become a bigger and bigger problem recently. The fact that the plot isn't cliche or overdone also intrigues me. I'm glad this one surpassed your expectations! <33

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hear this series is pretty good, and by the sound of your great review I feel convinced to give it a go. Glad you liked it:

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have not heard of this one, but it's on my radar now. I'm not sure its for me, as I have not been a big fan of other books focusing on reincarnated souls. Glad you enjoyed it!

    Jennifer
    YA Sisterhood

    Thanks for stopping by the blog.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from people, so comment away! What do you think of this post?

Designed by Seo Evie. Powered by Blogger.