Friday, April 6, 2012

A Surprise Review!

So today, my family and I traveled the great, straight roads from New Jersey to Indiana.  About 12 hours long and only three pit stops to stretch our legs and stuff our faces with food.  I prepared myself with two books and one galley on my laptop.  Afraid that I'd let my laptop die on the way, I picked up A Temptation of Angels by Michelle Zink and read it all the way through.  I was so proud I didn't get carsick.  Now that was a feat.
Now, to the review!
Even angels make mistakes in this page-turning epic romance...

When her parents are murdered before her eyes, sixteen-year-old Helen Cartwright finds herself launched into an underground London where a mysterious organization called the Dictata controls the balance of good and evil. Helen learns that she is one of three remaining angelic descendants charged with protecting the world's past, present, and future. Unbeknownst to her, she has been trained her whole life to accept this responsibility. Now, as she finds herself torn between the angelic brothers protecting her and the devastatingly handsome childhood friend who wants to destroy her, she must prepare to be brave, to be hunted, and above all to be strong, because temptation will be hard to resist, even for an angel.

Michelle Zink masterfully weaves historical fantasy with paranormal romance to create a gripping tale of love and betrayal.


I was actually afraid to but this book, not sure whether I'd like it or not.  So, I got this book along with Bloodrose by Andrea Cremer at my local library.  It's not that I don't like the Nighshade Series, but I'm waiting for it to come out on paperback, since all my other books in the series are paperback.
I don't think the book right out tells you that it takes place in Victorian London and is steampunk-ish.  You find that out pretty fast.  It's not the happiest of all beginning, nor is it uneventful.  Bam!  As soon as you turn the first page, you're sent back in time to this house that is one fire.  It caught my attention right from the start. 
Helen, the main character, escapes the buring house and locates these two brothers using this letter her mother wrote for her before she died.  Ooooh.  Insert dreamy sigh here.  Griffin, one of the Channing brothers, is one of THOSE characters.  I'm still keeping Duncan from Welcome, Caller, This is Chloe as the swoony-worthy guy for the month, but man, was Griffin everything I could ever wish for in YA fiction.  I wish he were mine, but alas, he is fictional.
Continuing, this book was filled to the brim with action that had my heart racing.  If this were a Kick-Ass Character meme, Helen would so be my pick.  She was independent, especially so for someone that was raised to be semi-ladylike/trained fighter.  Her parents die, she finds out she's one of the last Keepers, decendants of angels essencially, and she's got some lovey feelings for Griffin...and someone else, but I won't tell!  A love triangle actually complimented this book than they do for most.  I was just CRAVING for them to kiss!  And when they did, I smiled, sighed, and read on because--whew--it was cute.
To Michelle Zink, you proved me wrong, and I'm glad you did.  You'd think I'd have learned my lesson about not juding a book by my first impression, but I haven't.  Proabably never will stop, but at least I read a whole bunch of books, including the ones I'm reluctant to read.  You are definitely an author to look out for, Miss Zink. 
I believe this is a standalone novel.  There really wasn't much left for readers to wonder about at the end.  Everything was resolved and said love triangle is resolved.  It pestered me because usually when the first guy is introduced as the love interest, I root for him rather than the other, unless the author doesn't want me to like said first guy.
I give this book a solid 5 stars.  It was perfection and a very entertaining read.  This is an angel and demon kind of book, in case you didn't figure that out.  I highly recommend this book, and hope that others like it, too!  A book review for Bloodrose and Immortal Rules soon to come in the next few weeks or so.  Be on the lookout!

1 comment:

  1. The book sounds really good. I chuckled at the joke about "no one understands my obsession with fictional guys" lol. So true. I love swoon-worthy guys and strong heroines too. Gonna have to check this one out sometime :)

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from people, so comment away! What do you think of this post?

Designed by Seo Evie. Powered by Blogger.