Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Review: Obsidian by Jennifer L. Armentrout

First off, lemme give a shout out to Jasmine from Beneath the Moon and Stars for letting me borrow this book!  Let's just say my library system does not have Obsidian in there and I got a little desperate on Twitter.  Then, Jasmine swooped in to rescue me from becoming insane and lent me this pretty.  She has saved my mental stability and therefore think she is awesome.

The Synopsis:
Starting over sucks.
When we moved to West Virginia right before my senior year, I'd pretty much resigned myself to thick accents, dodgy internet access, and a whole lot of boring.... until I spotted my hot neighbor, with his looming height and eerie green eyes. Things were looking up.
And then he opened his mouth.
Daemon is infuriating. Arrogant. Stab-worthy. We do not get along. At all. But when a stranger attacks me and Daemon literally freezes time with a wave of his hand, well, something...unexpected happens.
The hot alien living next door marks me.
You heard me. Alien. Turns out Daemon and his sister have a galaxy of enemies wanting to steal their abilities, and Daemon's touch has me lit up like the Vegas Strip. The only way I'm getting out of this alive is by sticking close to Daemon until my alien mojo fades.
If I don't kill him first, that is.




My Thoughts:
When I first read that this was going to be about a hot alien dude, my reactions were followed as such:

First reaction: *stares* Well, that sounds kinda weird . . . Alien . . . Movies kill aliens . . . Except for in Paul, but he could have died . . . But Paul was green . . .
Second Reaction: Give me the flippin' book right now!  Hot dude with bad attitude equals hell yes!  And, he's an alien, as in he's from a different planet.  WANT. O_o

As you can see, they weren't really intelligible thoughts.  One side of my brain did not understand the amazing-ness of this book while the other half was a little too excited.  And mind you, this was all before I even opened up the book to the first page.
Katy was the epitome of the new girl.  She was introverted and uncomfortable in her new surroundings, but also determined to make new friends and start over with a normal life--if that's even possible with the hottest guy in the universe living right next door to her.  So, maybe something a little less than normal.  One thing that I really liked about her character was the fact that she didn't take much crap from Daemon and stood her ground.  She was feisty and entertaining to read, along with Daemon, but that's for obvious reasons.
And then there's Daemon.  Daemon.  I'm not exactly sure what you want me to say about him other than he's an alien and he's hot. 
Okay, okay.  So, that's not the only thing I'm going to say about him.  Because, just repeating that he's hot and he's an alien sounds pretty shallow of me, and not entirely true about his character.  Just like any other bad boy in any book, he's got a certain kind of mystery to him.  Daemon was moody, and I'd wonder if it was his time of the month if he wasn't a jerk 24/7.  Jusss sayin'.  But, there were a few extremely rare times where he wasn't a butt head and was kind of a decent and relatable guy.  And because of all of those traits, my mind became Daemon and everything that he is.  I think it's safe to say that I now understand why many bloggers talked about Daemon like he was the God of Awesome and Sexy.  I get it now.
Going to the story, I wasn't quite sure what to expect.  Alien invasions?  An intergalactic war?  Bowling?  But I was okay with that because I really wanted it to surprise me, and surprise me it did.  There was plenty of action to sate my hunger for violence and enough romance that didn't end up with me rolling my eyes about how unlikely it sounded.  The unlikely romance thing happens a lot to me with books. 
Speaking of romance, I decided that I actually wanted to talk about it here.  One thing I really look forward to is watching a relationship bud between two characters.  Sometimes, I feel that romances are hastened or maybe a little cliche, and possibly a bit too passionate.  The romances I look forward to are the ones where they don't kiss after two hours of meeting each other.  Although, I crave their first kiss, I'd rather prefer watching how they interact with one another before they get all kissy-face.  With that said, I'll just tell you that I really liked the romance in this book.  Jennifer L. Armentrout did a lovely job with it.
Overall, I absolutely loved this book.  It was everything I could want in an alien book--surprisingly.  It was nothing like what I expected it to be and I cannot wait for the next installment to come out next month.  I hope everybody gets a chance to read Obsidian if they haven't already because this book here is definitely one of my top ten favorites so far of this year.

1 comment:

  1. SUCCESS !!! we have converted you! Your review made me laugh, and want to read it all over again. So I would say that's a successful review!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from people, so comment away! What do you think of this post?

Designed by Seo Evie. Powered by Blogger.