Saturday, July 21, 2012

Review: Of Poseidon by Anna Banks

The Synopsis:
Galen is the prince of the Syrena, sent to land to find a girl he's heard can communicate with fish. Emma is on vacation at the beach. When she runs into Galen — literally, ouch! — both teens sense a connection. But it will take several encounters, including a deadly one with a shark, for Galen to be convinced of Emma's gifts. Now, if he can only convince Emma that she holds the key to his kingdom . . .
Told from both Emma and Galen's points of view, here is a fish-out-of-water story that sparkles with intrigue, humor, and waves of romance.











My Thoughts:
This book has been one of my most anticipated reads of  2012.  I'd heard so much about it, such good things, even before it had hit the shelves.  And I wanted it bad.  I was never interested in mermaid books, mostly because they seemed too Aquamarine to me. (Remember that movie?)  But this book was different and after I had read Lies Beneath by Anne Greenwood Brown, I was more than willing to read this book.  Then, the best opportunity came when I ventured to New York for the Fierce Reads book tour.  Let's just say that I was very happy.
I really liked Emma's character.  She was very relatable and had a great sense of humor.  Her mind was sharp and witty, and not to mention she was very sarcastic.  I really like sarcasm.  If any of you guys know Sophie Mercer from the Hex Hall series, you'd also know that she is very sarcastic and I'd compare Emma's internal thought process to Sophie's.  Also, Emma was very stubborn and I found that to be a very entertaining trait to her.
I have no qualms at all with this book at all.  It was entertaining and interesting.  It was a different spin off of your average mermaid tale and I was left in awe with the creativity of it.  Galen was steaming hot and absolutely infuriating.  He wasn't exactly Mr. Bad Boy, but he certainly looked the part.  With those violet eyes . . . his looks . . . his awesomeness.  He will definitely be part of the YA Crush Tourney next year.  I just know he will.
Sadly, there's wasn't much action.  But, that was fine by me.  In it's own way, there was plenty of other things to keep me hooked on the book.  In a way, there was some adventure because the characters traveled back and forth from Florida and New Jersey, where this book takes place.  (My home state!  Woot!  Plus, Emma lived on the shore, where I live.)  So, as you could probably imagine, I was having some home state nostalgia. 
Overall, I was very happy with this book.  I can't wait to see what will happen next in the series, Of Triton, because readers were left on somewhat of a cliff hanger.  I was kind of one of those moments where I was left with one of those, Ooooo darrrnn kind of expression.  Thus the reason why I gave this book five out of five dazzling stars.  It was such an amazing read and I hope that most people have already read this book because it just was so good.  You can count this book as one of my favorite reads of 2012.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from people, so comment away! What do you think of this post?

Designed by Seo Evie. Powered by Blogger.