Thursday, January 3, 2013

Sweet Shadows by Tera Lynn Childs

Sweet Shadows (Medusa Girls, #2)The Synopsis:
Gretchen may have known she was a descendant of Medusa long before her sisters--after all, she's spent her life fighting the monsters that escape the abyss--but that doesn't mean it will be easy to teach the other girls the ropes. Can she rely on Grace and Greer, or even trust herself to keep them safe? Greer has pressing social commitments on her plate and precious little time to train in her newfound powers. But that wretched second sight won't leave her alone, and her fabled heritage seems to be creeping into her fashionable life.
Grace has worries closer to home--like why her brother, Thane, has disappeared. He's hiding something. Could it possibly be related to the secret heritage the triplets share?
With the warring factions among the gods of Olympus coming for them, the creatures of the abyss pushing into their world, and the boys in their lives keeping secrets at every turn, the three girls must figure out where their fate will take them and how to embrace the shadows of their legacy.



My Thoughts:
I'm going to skip my who introduction to the review explaining how much I love Greek mythology because I feel like I've said that so many times already, and who wants to keep hearing me gush about it over and over and over again?  I would, but possibly not you.

Gretchen still is my favorite of the three sisters.  Her protectiveness of her sisters is admirable and also this growing affection for them is such a great thing to watch throughout the series.  She changes from a girl who knows nothing about love and knows everything about being alone to one that begins to understand the concept of how to love and be loved.  She isn't nearly as accepting of any monkey business as Grace is and the connection and banter between all three is such an amusing thing to watch.  And for me being a twin, I can connect with the sisterly bond the three of them create and relate with how sometimes the sacrifices of one's wishes is better for all.

And Greer, while you've changed and developed into more of dimensional character, I still don't like you.  Nothing personal.

And--my!  Nick!  Well, aren't you full of surprises?  I loved you and your persistence with Gretchen.  The relationship between the two of you was entertaining and I just wanted to ship you and Gretchen so hard!  While the relationship was mostly cold than hot, I saw something between the two of you and I want to see more!  Plus, you're still this mysterious something that I want to know more about.

There was more adventure in Sweet Shadows than the first book and that made me happy.  However, for a book about Greek mythology, there wasn't a lot of action.  Reflecting, I feel that the climax of the story was this little bump, not a peak.  The story is something that I did enjoy, but I felt that, given more, this book could have been spectacular.  The character development was great, but a little more something could have helped me enjoy it the story that much more.

I love how Childs brings out the monsters of myth in this series with her own personal spin on it all.  The characters are wonderful and I enjoy to watch them interact with one another--bickering or otherwise.  While I found the plot to be a little plain, I'm still very curious about the next book to see how things will end.  Fans of mythology, monsters, and kickass characters will enjoy this this series, if you haven't started it already.

2 comments:

  1. I love kickass characters, so I suspect I should have started reading this series then! I get this really warm, fuzzy feeling if there are siblings in books that have a close bond with each other... it's really sweet! >.< It's a shame there wasn't much action in it though... :( xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read this one awhile back. I don't remember much but I do remember really enjoying it! I'll have to reread before the third book comes out. Gretchen was my favorite sister too! I agree with your point about the action. Hopefully the third book will have much more action. Great review Millie!

    Jasmine

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from people, so comment away! What do you think of this post?

Designed by Seo Evie. Powered by Blogger.