Wednesday, January 9, 2013

The Liar Society by Lisa and Laura Roecker

The Liar Society (The Liar Society, #1)The Synopsis:
Kate Lowry didn't think dead best friends could send e-mails. But when she gets an e-mail from Grace, she’s not so sure.

To: KateLowry@pemberlybrown.edu
Sent: Sun 9/14 11:59 PM
From: GraceLee@pemberlybrown.edu
Subject: (no subject)

Kate,
I'm here…
sort of.
Find Cameron.
He knows.
I shouldn't be writing.
Don't tell.
They'll hurt you.

Now Kate has no choice but to prove once and for all that Grace’s death was more than just a tragic accident. But secrets haunt the halls of her elite private school. Secrets people will do anything to protect. Even if it means getting rid of the girl trying to solve a murder...


My Thoughts:
I'd first heard a lot about this book when the second book, Lies That Bind, had first come out and the sisters were going on a tour with Miranda Kenneally in the fall.  I was very curious, considering I'd never heard of The Liar Society, and it was about spying and secret society stuff.  While it may not be what I normally read, The Liar Society looked like something I could easily enjoy. 

Kate, while the perfect kind of heroine for this type of genre, did not stick out to me.  I loved her determination and stubbornness, but she was something that I've already seen before in many other books.  I did find Kate to be bit flat, and her reactions were everything I expected them to be.  However, I did like how she ended up rocking the pink hair.  I thought that was pretty cool.  Unfortunately, she fell under the typical heroine category.  Also, her obsession with Grace, her dead best friend, I found to be weird.  I mean, I understand that Kate wants justice, but she turned out to be really obsessive about it. 

Liam, the supposed bad boy in the book, was not as bad boy as I had hoped.  If anything, I thought he was more of a sweetheart than a bad boy.  Maybe it's because I read too many paranormal, action books that have these badass, mysterious history, cold demeanor bad boys rather than contemporary bad boys.  I'm not sure.  But, I wasn't sold on Liam's bad boy-ness.

Seth had to be my favorite yet most abused character in the story.  He was such a nerd and he was so cute, but Kate just kept on tossing him around and the poor thing was just going along with it.  I felt so bad for him!  And it was obvious that Kate didn't necessarily care for Seth's emotions and I found it sad, so I didn't believe that they were 'friends' since Kate was using him the entire time.  And she constantly complained about him! 

The story wasn't what I thought it was going to be.  It was surprisingly dark and creeped me out at times.  I won't spoil anything for those who haven't gotten the chance to read it yet, but expect the unexpected with this book.  I loved the mystery in this book and during some parts of the book, I was flying through the pages to figure out what was the big secret.  However, when Kate would traverse all across the Pemberly Brown campus, I had no idea where she was!  I felt like I needed a map to figure out which building was where.  It was very confusing to visualize it in my head.

The Liar Society was an easy and fast read with an interesting concept for the plot.  The characters were flat to me and I would sometimes get bored every now and then reading the story.  The Liar Society was overall an okay read.  It didn't really stand out to me.  There is a sequel, but I'm still undecided whether or not I want to continue the series.

2 comments:

  1. huh.. It sucks that Kate seemed like a flat character, and I really hoped that she stood out more... Though i like fast reads! Great review!
    - Farah @ MajiBookshelf

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds just like expected. Like a guilty pleasure but nothing especially epic. Too bad about the lack of character development though that's usually the biggest downfall for me, but it still sounds like a fun, light read for when I just want something fluffy.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from people, so comment away! What do you think of this post?

Designed by Seo Evie. Powered by Blogger.