Monday, June 11, 2012

City of Lost Souls, You Guys

I'll start this off by saying that I could not wait for this baby to come out for all the world to see.  I've been in love with the series as soon as I started reading City of Bones.  And I didn't even want to read the Mortal Instrument Series because I thought why would the modern story be better than the Victorian story? (I first picked up Clockwork Angel.  Best book in the world!)  Anyway, I gave The Mortal Instruments a shot and I've been deep, deep, deeply in love with them, all five so far!
The demon Lilith has been destroyed and Jace has been freed from her captivity. But when the Shadowhunters arrive to rescue him, they find only blood and broken glass. Not only is the boy Clary loves missing–but so is the boy she hates, Sebastian, the son of her father Valentine: a son determined to succeed where their father failed, and bring the Shadowhunters to their knees.
No magic the Clave can summon can locate either boy, but Jace cannot stay away—not from Clary. When they meet again Clary discovers the horror Lilith’s dying magic has wrought—Jace is no longer the boy she loved. He and Sebastian are now bound to each other, and Jace has become what he most feared: a true servant of Valentine’s evil. The Clave is determined to destroy Sebastian, but there is no way to harm one boy without destroying the other. Will the Shadowhunters hesitate to kill one of their own?
Only a small band of Clary and Jace’s friends and family believe that Jace can still be saved — and that the fate of the Shadowhunters’ future may hinge on that salvation. They must defy the Clave and strike out on their own. Alec, Magnus, Simon and Isabelle must work together to save Jace: bargaining with the sinister Faerie Queen, contemplating deals with demons, and turning at last to the Iron Sisters, the reclusive and merciless weapons makers for the Shadowhunters, who tell them that no weapon on this earth can sever the bond between Sebastian and Jace. Their only chance of cutting Jace free is to challenge Heaven and Hell — a risk that could claim any, or all, of their lives.
And they must do it without Clary. For Clary has gone into the heart of darkness, to play a dangerous game utterly alone. The price of losing the game is not just her own life, but Jace’s soul. She’s willing to do anything for Jace, but can she even still trust him? Or is he truly lost? What price is too high to pay, even for love?
Darkness threatens to claim the Shadowhunters in the harrowing fifth book of the Mortal Instruments series.


So, I don't know what I can really say about this beauty.  No intelligible words come to mind.  In my head, I'm all 'love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love'.  And I'm not sure how I can exactly make a decent review with just that.  I'm in love with these series so much, I have Shadowhunter fever.  They're all I think about and I'm pretty sure I've picked out a parabatai of my own. 
First of all, it was beautifully written.  Gorgeous settings and an exciting plot.  There's plenty of action and fighting with the right amount of romance--just the way I like it.
Clary is as feisty as ever.  She's tough and smart and knows how to handle her man.  Plus, she's strong and independent.  That's why she'll always be one of my favorite characters of all time.  But in CoLS, she has no idea what she's gotten herself into.  And that's why she needs help from ......These guys!
Simon, my nerdy little book vampire boyfriend, will do just about anything for Clary, and that includes risking his life.  Isabelle and Alec will go along with Clary's adventures because not only are they friends, but usually whatever Clary's doing, Jace is not far behind.  And Magnus, well, he'll go anywhere or do anything for Alec (Malec=the cutest couple in all time book history.  It deserves an award.)
And, so there's this HUGE and EPIC adventure that ensues that also involves Maya and Jordan (remember him?).  But I can't tell you anything about it or I'll end up spilling my guts out, which consists of CoLS.  So, I'm not saying anything but I wish that there was more Malec time.  They're my favorite characters to watch grow and develop.  I love being in there company, in a sense.  I wish we could get to see more of them!
P.S The ending?  Whyyyy??  Why did you do that to them, Cassandra Clare? WHHYYYY?!?!?! *drops down on knees and throws arms out, looks as raining sky* 
Anyway, this baby's got five out of five stars.  Excellent read, and it's long, too.  Super enjoyable and totally worth the wait.  It's everything I could have wished for and more. *goofy smile*

1 comment:

  1. I love Malec...but only because of Magnus. Alec ticked me off in this one and I kinda think he got what he deserved >.>

    So, your thoughts on Sebastian??? I started to develop a bit of a crush on him (which is totally freakishly weird...), so I've been creeping other CoLS reviews to see if I was the only one.

    Like you, I love the Shadowhunter world...but I feel like this should have been a trilogy. Don't get me wrong, I still really enjoyed #4 and 5, but they weren't quite as epic for me as #1-3.

    Here's my review if you want to read it :)

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from people, so comment away! What do you think of this post?

Designed by Seo Evie. Powered by Blogger.