Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Lies Beneath by Anne Greenwood Brown

I have to give a shout out to Delacorte Press for allowing me to read this wonderful baby as an e-galley.  I was super excited to read this one, so as you can imagine, I read it as fast as I could.

Calder White lives in the cold, clear waters of Lake Superior, the only brother in a family of murderous mermaids. To survive, Calder and his sisters prey on humans, killing them to absorb their energy. But this summer the underwater clan targets Jason Hancock out of pure revenge. They blame Hancock for their mother's death and have been waiting a long time for him to return to his family's homestead on the lake. Hancock has a fear of water, so to lure him in, Calder sets out to seduce Hancock's daughter, Lily. Easy enough—especially as Calder has lots of practice using his irresistable good looks and charm on ususpecting girls. Only this time Calder screws everything up: he falls for Lily—just as Lily starts to suspect that there's more to the monsters-in-the-lake legends than she ever imagined. And just as his sisters are losing patience with him.

I was instantly hooked by the hypnotic cover.  And my curiosity was again piqued once I read that this was going to be in a guy's POV.  It's not that I have anything against reading in a guy's POV, I was just surprised.  You don't see a lot of that out there.  So instantly, I was all in for this one.
And here we meet the wonderfully broody and depressing Calder White.  I thought he was pretty cool.  He knew he was absofreakinglutely hot, but he wasn't all cocky about it.  He didn't care for his nature--which was to lure, drown, and soak in the energy of people.  He was a no go for that.  If anything, he wanted to be normal.  So in all, he had me head over heels in love with his personality....and...ahem....looks.
Anyway.
Then, there came his assigned job his sisters game him.
Here, I was a no go.  He became Creeper One Thousand with his task, which was to gain the trust of one of the Hancock sisters.  He hid in closets, bushes, eavesdropped, and stalked his way around town.
Uh, hell no.
I constantly had to remind myself that this was just him doing what he was supposed to do even though he didn't want to do it.  In my head, I was all, "Don't be another Edward Cullen, don't be another Edward Cullen.  Sweet Harry Potter, stop following her!"  Well, it seems that I can't very well use my mind yelling abilities on a book.
But, things got better and he stopped being all Creeper Status Alert.  He didn't want to do his job his psycho-crazy sisters told him to do.  He wanted to be himself and alone.....with Lily. *snickers*
Story wise, this baby was awesome with a side of rainbow sprinkles.  The mythology was just fantastic.  It was a great spinoff of our beloved Ariel and other favorite mermaid tales.  It was dark and twisted and doesn't exactly have a fairytale ending, considering these mermaids kill people for their energy and three out of four mermaids in the area really wanna kill one specific person.  The imagery was fantastic and vivid.  And knowing me, that's a big feat because I'm always on the lookout for some good imagery.  I could practically taste a salty breeze coming out of my laptop.
Overall, my excitement for this book was not wasted on.  It was an excellent story and I can't wait to see what happens next, whatever that may be.  Though, I hear it's in Lily's POV.  I gave this pretty five out of five shiny stars.  It was great.  A lovely and exciting tale.  I had problems leaving my laptop just to eat.  That's how good this was.
And on top of all of this, I hear Anne Greenwood Brown has an awesome signature.  I'm on the lookout for it!  I can tell ya that!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from people, so comment away! What do you think of this post?

Designed by Seo Evie. Powered by Blogger.