Saturday, June 23, 2012

Under the Never Sky by Veronica Rossi

Hello!  Why don't you all look over there ------------->   Yep!  That a specially made badge of TEAM KILT on my blog!  You should all check out Jeri's books if you haven't already.  Just a little helpful hint.

The Synopsis:
Since she'd been on the outside, she'd survived an Aether storm, she'd had a knife held to her throat, and she'd seen men murdered. This was worse.
Exiled from her home, the enclosed city of Reverie, Aria knows her chances of surviving in the outer wasteland - known as The Death Shop - are slim. If the cannibals don't get her, the violent, electrified energy storms will. She's been taught that the very air she breathes can kill her. Then Aria meets an Outsider named Perry. He's wild - a savage - and her only hope of staying alive.
A hunter for his tribe in a merciless landscape, Perry views Aria as sheltered and fragile - everything he would expect from a Dweller. But he needs Aria's help too; she alone holds the key to his redemption. Opposites in nearly every way, Aria and Perry must accept each other to survive. Their unlikely alliance forges a bond that will determine the fate of all who live under the never sky.




My Thoughts:
I've heard a lot of good things about this book all over the place.  So, I was very excited to pick it up at my local library.  Mind you, I probably should have bought it and am still kicking myself in the butt for not doing that.  Once again, this book is a dystopian, and then there's me still reluctant to read them.  I couldn't tell you where I could begin to explain how great this book was.  It was thrilling and captivating, creative and wonderful.
Since I can't tell you where to begin, I'll just start as I always do with the MC.  Aria is a teenage girl born in Reverie, trapped from the dangerous outside world until she breaks the rules and pretty much gets kicked to the curb.  She's worried about her mother because she lost connection with her over a week ago.  Aria was definitely a determined character with a knowledgeable mind.  Though, she' not knowledgeable in the techniques of staying alive.  As her name states, in a way, she's a singer with a talented soprano voice.  I was kind of happy to see the main character as one that sings because I love to sing.  So, that put a smile on my face, and on the faces of the other characters, too.
And then there's Peregrine.  Oh, Perry.  Although when I first heard of his nickname, I originally thought of Perry the platypus from Phineas and Ferb.  It was only a brief thought, though, and I mostly thought of Perry as Perry the Outsider that's got family issues and doesn't know how to express how he feels at times.  He was strong and a bright spot in the writing as the story went along.  He knew the skills on how to survive and helped Aria along, even though he did not want to in the first place.  He could be sweet at times, and then there were others where be was a bit bitter.  But that's okay with me.  Oh, yeah.  And he's an archer, shooting arrows and stuff.  That gave him some Brownie Points from me.
The story was overall very good.  In the beginning, I was a bit confused and didn't understand all that was said between the characters.  But that was really on in the first chapter or so that were in Aria's POV.  Futuristic terms were used, and I think that's what threw me off, but didn't deter me from the book.
Under the Never Sky is a gripping story with relatable characters and hate-worthy foes.  I had a hard time putting down the book because it was so good.  Dystopian has once again proven me wrong, and I am glad for that.  It's opening me up to a new genre and exponentially increasing my TBR pile.  Everything in the story was beautifully described and there was plenty of action and adventure to make it a speedy and exciting read.  I hope y'all get to read this book because I gave it FIVE out of five twinkling stars hidden underneath the Aether.
Happy reading!

3 comments:

  1. I absolutely LOVED this book! Seriously, it was totally amazing. <3 And they revealed the cover for Through the Every Night today! It has such pretty colors. Anyways, I'm so glad that you enjoyed this one Millie. And when I heard Perry's name, I thought of the Perry from Phineas and Ferb too, so don't worry, you're not alone! ;)

    Fantastic review! <3

    -Aneeqah @ My Not So Real Life

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review, Millie! Under the Never Sky is one of my favorite books of 2012 :-) I absolutely adored Aria, Perri, Roar, Marron, and even Cinder. What an amazing cast of characters!

    I think it's fair to say now that you like dystopian! ;-)

    Now, what in the world will you read next?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL. Me too ..after reading I just looked around and asked to myself "And no one has forced me to read this before why?" Your Perry the Platypus comment was cute ..trust be told, I thought so too! I didn't feel confused at all ..maybe missing a thing or two but not confused and WAIT. How come I don't get Brownie Points? ;D

    Happy reading!
    -Monica

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from people, so comment away! What do you think of this post?

Designed by Seo Evie. Powered by Blogger.