Thursday, June 7, 2012

The Trylle Trilogy by Amanda Hocking

Today I have a surprise for you all . . . It's called Three Reviews in One Day!  Well, let me get started.
I got all three at the same time and decided to read them all in a row, so here it is.
First up, Switched.

When Wendy Everly was six years old, her mother was convinced she was a monster and tried to kill her. It isn't until eleven years later that Wendy discovers her mother might have been right.
With the help of Finn Holmes, Wendy finds herself in a world she never knew existed - a world both beautiful and frightening, and Wendy's not sure she wants to be a part of it.

I thought this book was very different.  When I first heard it was about a changeling, I thought it was about faeries, but no; it's about trolls.  That was something new.
When readers are first introduced to Wendy, I thought she was a spoiled brat.  All she had to do was throw a tantrum and stomp her foot and she got her way with her brother and aunt.  And then she starts to gain abilities and it didn't help what I thought about her.  And she was ridiculously oblivious--which was understandable--but it was annoying.
But then my opinion about Wendy changed.  I probably would have acted the same way she did about the situation and I'm no better with my temper.  She doesn't exactly become the idealic leader I'd want her to be by the end, but she's on her way, and she knows it, too.
The plotline is very interesting.  Trylle is like a tribe of trolls that live under the radar of humans.  They use changelings to inherit the money of wealthy families, ditch them, and use their money to help keep the community prospering.  Twisted, isn't it?
Obviously, the main character does not approve of the situation and there are mysterious opposing forces.
Honestly, I really did enjoy this book, just not as much as I liked the others in the series.  I gave this book four out of five.  It's a really nice series, so I suggest you read it!


Wendy thought she finally understood who she was and what she wanted, but everything changes when the rival Vittra come after her. 
She's caught between two worls, torn between love and duty, and she must decide what life she is meant to lead.

This one, I thought was a step up from the first one.  The relationship between her and Finn is absolutely infuriating.  One moment, they're all lovey dovey and then the next they're screaming at each other, her caught up between what she feels is right to do and her feelings and him caught up in his duty.  Practically, they can never be together.  It's impossible in a society like theirs.  Technically, they can never be together since it's unheard of, punishible even. There is no Them in a world like theirs.
I really loved all her Trylle friends.  They were entertaining and a beacon of light in Wendy's unhappiness.  They made her happy and laugh while her realy mother wanted to rip out Wendy's throat, figuratively speaking.  The two of them do not get along.
And then there's Loki, a very mysterious character not formally introduced to the characters.  He's a jerk, but he's not content with his life.  I liked him, in all his Vittra glory.
Five out of five stars!


With a war looming on the horizon, Wendy’s fate seems sealed. But everything she sacrificed might be in vain if she can’t save the ones she loves.
Her whole life has been leading up to this, and it’s all coming to an end.
Man, this book was an improvement from all of them.  Secrets are uncovered, love hurts, and war is coming, the inevitable.
I was really excited about the impending fight scene I knew would be on it's way.  This is what the other two books lead up to.  The end. 
Wendy is a complete martyr in this book.  She understands her duty as princess and is willing to give up her life for the sake of others.  And she does.  This was finally the kind of leader I was waiting for her to be.  She mindlessly throws herself into the arms to danger, and it was very exciting.
And, boy, some of the secrets in Ascend were a complete surprise for me.  I could barely imagine what was being hidden from her in the other books and then in this one--bam!--it hits ya!  I could have never guessed some of the secrets here.
In other words, it was a great book.  Five out of five stars for me!

And that's it for my Three Reviews in One Day special.  Until next time, read!  I know I will.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from people, so comment away! What do you think of this post?

Designed by Seo Evie. Powered by Blogger.